There was an annual drop of more than 23 per cent in the total number of homes approved for planning permission in the second quarter, new data from the Central Statistics Office shows.
The number of “dwelling units” approved in the three month period stands at 8,723 units compared with 11,374 units the same quarter of last year. The annual fall stands in marked contrast to the first quarter when an increase of 38 per cent was recorded.
For the six-month period from January to June, there was an overall increase of 3 per cent in the total number of dwelling units approved when compared with the same period in 2022.
Apartments accounted for 58 per cent of all dwelling units approved, while housing units made up the remaining 42 per cent. This was the first time since the second quarter of 2022 when more apartments than houses have been granted planning permission.
The number of houses granted planning permission fell by 18 per cent on an annual basis to 3,702 housing units, while apartment approvals were down by 27 per cent to 5,021 units.
There was an annual decrease of more than 36 per cent in the number of one-off houses receiving planning permission in the second quarter, compared with an annual decline of 32 per cent in the first quarter.
There was an annual fall of 6 per cent in multi-development houses receiving planning permission in the second quarter compared with an annual increase of 81 per cent in the first.
Across the four local authorities of Dublin, planning permission was granted for 3,351 apartments in the second quarter, accounting for two-thirds of all apartments granted planning permission in the state between April and June of this year.
More than one in five (21 per cent) of all dwelling units granted planning permission in the state